[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 31 13:20:16 CDT 2001

>> I also prefer to use VI for running off short memos - but I usually don't
>> bother with fancy formatting.  If plain text dont get teh word across-
>> nothing will!
>
>For longer than I can recall I have kept boilerplate memos in n/troff
>that I can pull up in vi, add in what I need in a memo, and pipe it to
>a ps printer with our letterhead.  I still do that on my dos laptop

I've never used troff, or TeX, for that matter.  It sounds like you have to
manually insert formatting tags into the text, correct?

I think one reason you'll have a hard time convincing casual users (not
geeks) to switch is that you're asking them to give up a WYSISYG
enviroment.  Seems like a lot of people can't do the mental visualization
required to predict what something will look like on paper without seeing
it rendered on the screen.

newell