[rescue] Need input... need input... on SparcBook2

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 31 13:09:19 CDT 2001

For several years, now, I have been running a SparcBook2 laptop (32MB
2x350mb hd) as a sort of portable ferry box/terminal box/etc.
I have a second one that works fine, except it needs some silly
``maintenance key code'' entered to get the thing beyond the initial
prom boot.  It can't even access cdroms to reboot/reinstall.
Call it a ``feature'' not a bug....(:+}}...  It seems to have been
overkill in security at the design stage, and woe to the service techie
that has to fix the critter.

Anyway, the company has lost the capability to regenerate these codes,
as told to me by a company folk.  So, the spare machine is dead in
the water.

Anyone know anything about SparcBook2 critters that might be able to
get around this silly maintenance key code so I can try to rescue the
thingy?   I saw a few tidbits on the Solaris 1 for them on Bills archive,
but, I really could use some more input, as ol' Johnny No. 5 was want
to say**.

Any insights into possible tricks to resurrect a perfectly fine
Sparc laptop are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

** From the movie series Short Circuit.