[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 31 13:50:23 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:20:16PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> I've never used troff, or TeX, for that matter.  It sounds like you have to
> manually insert formatting tags into the text, correct?

Correct.

> I think one reason you'll have a hard time convincing casual users (not
> geeks) to switch is that you're asking them to give up a WYSISYG
> enviroment.  Seems like a lot of people can't do the mental visualization
> required to predict what something will look like on paper without seeing
> it rendered on the screen.

I think that the ideal would be something in between WYSIWYG.  Let us
select text, and make it underlined, and let us see it be underline with
out actually allowing us to do all sorts of format tweaking.

Someday I may tackle this problem.  For now, I know latex, and that is
good enough.

--
Joshua D. Boyd