[rescue] nuking from orbit

Jeremy Nielson rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 12:32:19 CDT 2001

I remember reading something about a year, maybe year and a half ago, about
a system the FBI or the NSA had devised, that could grab data from a
magnetic medium, despite protective measures taken.

The example given, was typical paranoid types wipe the disk and write
consecutive zero's over the disk 7-10 times.  And the process could still
glean like 70% of the data afterwards.

Scary, if you ask me.  It seems the best way to prevent data from being
compromised, is to physically mangle the disk, shred it, burn it, and then
make one big magnetic glop out of it.

Even then, we might not be safe.

If I can find the article, I'll post the link.

Jeremy Nielson
jnielson at ihccorp.com