[rescue] nuking from orbit

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 12:45:55 CDT 2001

>I remember reading something about a year, maybe year and a half ago, about
>a system the FBI or the NSA had devised, that could grab data from a
>magnetic medium, despite protective measures taken.

I suppose I should have asked the original poster who the threat was
perceived to be.

The various fedgov agencies supposedly remove the covers from the drives
and then immerse them in salt water, which is bad for the drive platter of
course.

If the main thing is, protect the data from kids,teachers, and hackers, the
method I suggested would work.  Otherwise destroy the drive and buy a cheap
2GB drive from eBay for like $15-20.

Cordially
--
Patrick Giagnocavo