[rescue] nuking from orbit

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 12:21:48 CDT 2001

>	Ok I have a sparc 5 here that my boss wants to me completely scrub
>and re-install for a local school system to use as a web server for the kids
>to learn on. I cannot find anything on how to "format and re-install" a sun
>box. Can anyone give me any pointers, I am required to format this clean so
>that no data can escape the destruction and make it's way over to the new
>system.

Wouldn't a low-level format of the drive take care of this?

Followed by installation of say OpenBSD, which uses a different filesystem
than Solaris?

I guess if the NSA still wants the data, they can probably get it.  Aside
from that though you would be safe.  (and if the NSA wanted your data, they
would have already gotten it).

Cordially
--
Patrick Giagnocavo