[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 21:28:28 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:01:35PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > VW once even sold the corrado in a super charger 4 cyl version.
>
> I really wish I could find one - I love those cars.  It'll be for Kurt's
> Collection of Cars.

Well, crap.  The kid I knew who had it just sold it earlier this year.

> Never try to rationalize cars.  The first mistake people make is trying to
> tell me that  PT Cruiser isn't practical.  My sister in law tried to tell me
> that my car isn't a "family car".  I countered by saying - "Why not, my
> family and a whole lot of our stuff fit in it."  There are very few gray
> areas with me - if my family goes in it, it's a family car.  I started to
> say something about her Rav-4, but discretion got the better of me.

My family loves our Caravan.  Roomy, comfterble, great on vacations or
when helping friends move.  We wouldn't enjoy a normal SUV anywhere near
as much, even if they were "family" cars.  We do have a wrangler also
(that was a because my dad wanted it car, not because it was the most
practicle, which it certainly isn't since it can't carry a step ladder in
a reasonable maner).

> Cars are rarely somemthing you buy because it "makes sense".  Most people
> buy them for less practical reasons - and there's nothing wrong with that.

I bought my car because it was available immediately, and I needed one (to
get to work to pay for school).  That it happened to be a Jetta, which I
rather like was just a coincidence.  Had I been buying a car beause I
wanted a newer/better/different one, I wouldn't have taken this particular
car.

Hopefully the next time will be because I want newer/better/different
instead of immediate need so that I can take the time to find what I
really want (which I'm not even sure of yet).

--
Joshua D. Boyd