[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 23:27:51 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 12:14:17AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> I must comment that I find the idea of getting a yellow one, getting a
> convertible conversion, red flames on the side, and one of the W8 engines
> that are supposed to come out this year or next a rather appealing idea.

i have a lot of complaints about the beetle.  most of them can be fixed with
some cash.  i would highly recommend getting better breaks if you do go the
path of the W8 (which solves one of my complaints) as well as getting someone
to tone down the power steering/breaks.  you can breath heavy on the break
peddle and lock them tires.  it's that bad.  feel the road?  not at all.

but anyway, i'm straying from the point.  there is one thing wrong with that
car that can not be easily fixed.  and that's the visability.  those two huge
pillars in front of you are HUGE and completely in the way unless you are going
straight.  skip the beetle.  it's not worth it.

> More realistically, my next car (assuming the current one lasts for 2
> years or so) will either be a passat or an Audi of some sort (S4 maybe).

friend of mine has an S4.  spent a couple grand tweaking it.  sick car.  i'd
consider getting one.  although i'm into older sports cars (80s or earlier).

-brian