[rescue] Sun training

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 13:53:50 CDT 2001

(If you don't believe in Sun's courses, skip the
rest of this message.)

Instructor-led official Sun training in your
area:
  http://suned.sun.com/US/search/centers/HAVI.html

You want SA-238/288/389, which will take you
most of the way from where you are now to the
mythical "Certified Solaris Network Administrator"
level:
  http://suned.sun.com/US/certification/solaris/solaris_certpath.html

You also want to take out a second mortgage to
pay for the training, unless you have an
enlightened employer.

Once you're certified, you will *still* be woefully
underqualified to fix every dumb mistake or
unusual customization made by previous sysadmins,
though...never underestimate the kludges/kluges
that smart people can put in place when they focus on
the tactical and forget the strategic.  I spent
part of yesterday morning trying to decipher a
mystical combination of 5 Solaris boxes, Oracle,
perl scripts, rsh,rdist,ssh,and rsync (plus purpose-
written C code which is now lost with only compiled
binaries remaining) all being used to administer
several major DNS zones.  It would be so painful to
update it that the only alternative is really to
scrap it and start over.

The Sun classes are good up to a point, but there's
no substitute for getting down and dirty with a
live dysfunctional system.  YMMV.

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer