[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 19:27:00 CDT 2001

On August 23, Neil McNeight wrote:
> The reason I ask is that property dispo will give you a power plug, but
> after that you are on your own. I don't know if they have any compatible
> monitors (or even cables... I'm assuming that 3W3 plug on the back is for
> some kind of framebuffer?). I assume they were decomissioned due to age,
> rather than being broken, but I'd rather not pay $50 for broken hardware.

  They were more likely decommissioned because they don't run Microsoft
crap.

> The systems were cardless, but I'll see what else I can see. The
> engineering school decommisioned it's FDDI ring less than a year ago, and
> bits are still occasionally floating into property dispo.

  Ahh, they downgraded to 100Mbit(sorta) ethernet? ;)

> I've always wanted an alpha, but I had heard too many derogatory things
> about the Multia to consider picking one up. These, however...

  Yes, Multias blow dog, as do AXPpci33 systems.  The 21066 was designed
by some college boy "engineer" who had no clue how to design a memory
bus.  I've seen PeeCees that perform better.  Avoid it at all costs.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD