[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 17:09:26 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 05:50:16PM -0400, Neil McNeight wrote:

> I've been scouting a bit more on the net, and although the Compaq pages
> are kinda sparse for these systems, I think I've figured out that they are
> some variant of the 3000/300 (definitely desktop, not tower like the
> /500).

well, the /700 is also a desktop case, so they don't HAVE to be /300 boxes.

> The reason I ask is that property dispo will give you a power plug, but
> after that you are on your own. I don't know if they have any compatible
> monitors (or even cables... I'm assuming that 3W3 plug on the back is for
> some kind of framebuffer?). I assume they were decomissioned due to age,
> rather than being broken, but I'd rather not pay $50 for broken hardware.

yeah, the 3w3 is for a monitor.  uhm, sync on green, ahhh, dammit, can't think
of the specs off the top of my head.  not too outta whack anyway.

> The systems were cardless, but I'll see what else I can see. The

ok, it was worth a shot.

> engineering school decommisioned it's FDDI ring less than a year ago, and
> bits are still occasionally floating into property dispo.

i'm always looking for FDDI bits.

> I've always wanted an alpha, but I had heard too many derogatory things
> about the Multia to consider picking one up. These, however...

what, the Ford Pinto of Alphas?  what's wrong with a computer that catches on
fire? :)

the 3000 boxes are nice.  i like them a _LOT_

cheers,

-brian