[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 20:54:37 CDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   They were more likely decommissioned because they don't run Microsoft
> crap.

I doubt it. The stickers on the machines implied to me that they were a
part of some kind of compute server/batch processing system, and they
probably got replaced with newer alphas.

Here we go... commissioned in 1995 as compute servers compaxp1 through
compaxp5

http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/news/Volume_12/march.95/article_6.html

Though the article says they are 3000/500's. Hmmm....

> > The systems were cardless, but I'll see what else I can see. The
> > engineering school decommisioned it's FDDI ring less than a year ago, and
> > bits are still occasionally floating into property dispo.
>
>   Ahh, they downgraded to 100Mbit(sorta) ethernet? ;)

According to their network pages, they went from FDDI to ATM (the map is a
little dated, but it looks like 100Mbit is the slowest the network now
travels).

Gotta love a school with all the toys. Even the cast-offs are fun to play
with :)

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu