[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 16:50:16 CDT 2001

> From: Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws>
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 05:05:26PM -0400, Neil McNeight wrote:
>
> > * How to tell what's in them by visual inspection (processor speed,
> > goodies, etc).
>
> look for a model number on the back.  although i think even the lowly /300 is
> well worth $50.

I've been scouting a bit more on the net, and although the Compaq pages
are kinda sparse for these systems, I think I've figured out that they are
some variant of the 3000/300 (definitely desktop, not tower like the
/500).

> > * How to get one running headless (maybe... didn't look for monitors or
> > keyboards).
>
> they have TurboChannel for framebuffers, or you can run them headless.  i run
> my /300LX headless, and my /700 will have a gfx card in it.

The reason I ask is that property dispo will give you a power plug, but
after that you are on your own. I don't know if they have any compatible
monitors (or even cables... I'm assuming that 3W3 plug on the back is for
some kind of framebuffer?). I assume they were decomissioned due to age,
rather than being broken, but I'd rather not pay $50 for broken hardware.

> > * Anything else to look for.
>
> see if they have any neat cards in the expansion slots.  FDDI would be very
> nice for me. :)

The systems were cardless, but I'll see what else I can see. The
engineering school decommisioned it's FDDI ring less than a year ago, and
bits are still occasionally floating into property dispo.

> > * Is this even a decent deal?
>
> i think so.  maybe pushing the limit of good deal for the /300, but for any of
> the others, definitely.  these are cool boxes.

I've always wanted an alpha, but I had heard too many derogatory things
about the Multia to consider picking one up. These, however...

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu