[rescue] Ultra 10 again

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 16:12:21 CDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 s at avoidant.org wrote:

> The other day someone said I could adjust video out for the onboard VGA
> from an NVRAM setting, but I've no idea how or where. Can someone clue
> me? Please?

Do a search for the Sun Framebuffer FAQ (by David Tong if I'm not
mistaken).  It goes into far more detail than I can in this posting.

> Also, am I doing something wrong or is the Creator 3D a slow beast that
> I want to dump ASAP? It seems that the onboard framebuffer with 4M VSIMM
> in my SS/20 is faster. Is this for real? Do I want to keep the SS/20 as
> my desktop machine? Does the Creator 3D suck dirty butts? It seems the
> only advantage the U10 has over the SS/20 is the CPU, and that makes no
> difference for the sort of things I do, apparently. :(

No, the C3D should be dramatically faster for just about every operation.
What are you doing that makes it feel slow?

You are using the C3D (13W3 connector) and not the onboard m64 (DE15
connector), right?  The m64 is nothing to write home about
performance-wise, especially in 24bpp mode.

-James