[rescue] What to do with a 630mp?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 16:08:35 CDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> For the sake of discussion, which versions of SunOS/Solaris do run on
> the 630MP cpu?  I have 4.1.1U1, 4.1.3, and Solaris 2.4 in my disk
> collection.  I was hoping 4.1.3 would do, but I am not sure that is
> late enough to work.  I am expecting the Solaris 2.4 should.

4.1.3 will work as will Solaris 2.4.  "Official" support for the 4/600
stopped at Solaris 2.5.1, but you can run later versions (even 8) with a
small patch to the kernel if you don't need VME support (basically
turning it into a Sparc 10).

You have an SM100 CPU in there now.  Virtually any later CPU (even a dirt
cheap SM41) will be a dramatic improvement speed-wise.

-James