[rescue] OT: DEC 3000 Rescue

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 16:05:26 CDT 2001

I've got an opportunity to get 2 DEC 3000 bases for $50 each. I need to
know:

* How to tell what's in them by visual inspection (processor speed,
goodies, etc).
* How to get one running headless (maybe... didn't look for monitors or
keyboards).
* Anything else to look for.
* Is this even a decent deal?

I could see that one was fully loaded with RAM, the other only had a
couple of SIMMS, and both had some form of processor on board (alpha 21064
came standard according to the NetBSD page, but there is a big honking
heat sink in the way).

Thanks.

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu