[rescue] (no subject)

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:27:01 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:56:18PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   [yes, STILL catching up on email]

Hey, we are just glad that you didn't dump the load, keeping your
knowledge and wisdom from us.

>   The arrays in question aren't exactly brand new, Josh.  Jeeze.  They
> are only full of 4GB drives.

I suppose that is feasible.  I'm sure you picked on on the fact that I'm
not quite as classical as some people around here are.  For one thing, I
have no problem with the idea of figuring out how to drop a couple of 9
gig drives into a Sun 3.  I need to pick up a few of those drives first
though.  Sometime when I have more spare cash lieing around.

>   AND:
>    - six hours' worth of battery backup
>      (full operation, not just cache power)

Why so much?  Do people usually run Crays on that much backup?

>    - dual-channel full-duplex parallel HIPPI
>    - three-way-redundant power supplies
>    - remote management system
>    - redunant controllers
>    - 256MB of buffering
>    - the capability to move data at full speed, sustained, *for real*,
>      *whether the accesses are sequential or not*.

Sweet.  Sweet.

>   Don't poo-poo those arrays until you see their specs.

Maybe it is just my modern upbringing, but I still have trouble with not
expecting machines of that size to have significantly more space.

Are those trays holding standard SCSI drives, BTW?

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/

IANAL: I am not a [lama|lawyer|luser|leper].