[rescue] (no subject)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:53:15 CDT 2001

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:56:18PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>   AND:
>>    - six hours' worth of battery backup
>>      (full operation, not just cache power)

>Why so much?  Do people usually run Crays on that much backup?

I once sent in a "customer testemonial" type letter to APC's magazine.
They never printed it as far as I know, but I kept a copy:

(Yes, I actually sent this to APC. No, I don't remember why.)

	Dear Sirs:

	I am writing this letter to commend APC on their fine products,
	and to specificly relate the incident that has made me formalize
	an "APC Only" buying policy at the institute where I conduct
	my research.

	As a disembodied brain being artificially kept alive in a hydroponic
	vat, I am keenly sensitive to the reliability and failure mode of
	the electronic equipment in my laboratory.

	Last month during a routine NATO bombing of my research facilities, we
	briefly lost power. My life support system was backed up with a 3.4 Kv
	APC Matrix system, with a diesel generator fallover for extended
	outages, but my lab partner, the notorious Dr. Dimension, was relying
	on a handfull of Tripplite UPSs and Isobar line conditioners.  When the
	first surge came in, followed by total loss of power, I suffered a
	minor headache, but my unfortunate colleague went into a series of
	Grand Mal siezures that eventually resulted in complete ganglial
	cellular breakdown and a rather unpleasant death.

	Suffice it to say, you've got a customer for life (and maybe beyond)!

	Sincerely,

		David Fischer
		Senior Research Fellow,
		Cheating Death Laboratories - East European Division

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------