[rescue] (no subject)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 21:56:18 CDT 2001

  [yes, STILL catching up on email]

On August 10, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > > That's all?!?  I was expecting a few terabytes in a box that size!  For 3
> > > grand I can get 1/3 terabyte in a shoebox on FC-AL!
> > >

> > Yeah, but it the fastest 1/3 terabyte you've ever seen.  Nothing like
> > spreading disk accesses across 40+ spindles.
>
> True.  But still, I was expecting that something as tall as me (well
> nearly) would at least top 1tbyte.

  The arrays in question aren't exactly brand new, Josh.  Jeeze.  They
are only full of 4GB drives.

  AND:
   - six hours' worth of battery backup
     (full operation, not just cache power)
   - dual-channel full-duplex parallel HIPPI
   - three-way-redundant power supplies
   - remote management system
   - redunant controllers
   - 256MB of buffering
   - the capability to move data at full speed, sustained, *for real*,
     *whether the accesses are sequential or not*.

  Don't poo-poo those arrays until you see their specs.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD