[rescue] FREE STUFF in Austin, TX

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:25:29 CDT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, joshua d boyd wrote:

> I thought that the 524mb was an artificial limit imposed by a mismatch
> between IDE and DOS.  I mean, on machines that shouldn't be able to handle
> larger hard drives, linux never seems to have trouble.

>From what I remember the 524 was a BIOS limitation, and if applications
used BIOS methods to read and write they couldn't go past 524.  Using
something like Linux that write directly to the controller bypassed this.

> Couldn't say.  I didn't know that there were any limits after 8.4 and
> before 138.  Just shows what I don't know.

There was a 32GB limit as well, but I think it was addressed before bigger
drives became commonplace.  It was a BIOS issue that came from a 16-bit
limit on the number of cylinders (16*63*512*65536 is about 32GB).

-James [ugh!]

--
James Lockwood
Guy on Summer Vacation