[rescue] FREE STUFF in Austin, TX

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:12:40 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:04:02PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > I thought it stopped at 138.  After all, there are 100 gig drives out.
>
> There is a limit at 137 that will require reallocation of some of the ID
> bits to overcome.  I wonder how many revisions there have been since the
> original 524MB(?) limit was sidestepped.  One more reason to stay with
> SCSI for real apps.

I thought that the 524mb was an artificial limit imposed by a mismatch
between IDE and DOS.  I mean, on machines that shouldn't be able to handle
larger hard drives, linux never seems to have trouble.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what it was that had to change to get past
8.4 gigs.  Anyone?

> Hm, I don't remember what the deal with 80 was, but there was definitely
> an issue there.  Might have been with PC BIOS' or a particular IDE
> controller rather than the IDE spec itself.

Couldn't say.  I didn't know that there were any limits after 8.4 and
before 138.  Just shows what I don't know.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/

IANAL: I am not a [lama|lawyer|luser|leper].