[rescue] Re: CDDI/FDDI from Cisco (old stuff--any good?)

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 20:03:18 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 06:53:38PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Michael S. Schiller wrote:
>
> > With all this discussion of FDDI & CDDI, are they really faster than
> > 100bt ethernet?
>
> I asked a guru friend locally, and he said FDDI's better than FE if you're
> running half duplex FE, but you're stupid if you're running fast ethernet
> half duplex.
>
> I suspect switched fast ethernet will be functionally equivalent to FDDI,
> maybe better if the FDDI is just concentrator'ed. But it's not as cool to
> say you're running fast ethernet at home. And how many of us DON'T do a
> lot of what we do because of the coolness factor? :-)

I'm told that FDDI doesn't have colisions, and from watching switches
different places, I suspect that how much the colision led is on on FE
switches that FDDI would be faster.  Plus, isn't FDDI 120mbit?

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/

IANAL: I am not a [lama|lawyer|luser|leper].