[rescue] Re: CDDI/FDDI from Cisco (old stuff--any good?)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 19 20:36:49 CDT 2001

> I'm told that FDDI doesn't have colisions, and from watching switches

FDDI is a token passing network like token ring.  the only way a station
can transmit is if it is possesion of the token.  since only one station
can be in possesion of the token at one time, no collisions.

> different places, I suspect that how much the colision led is on on FE
> switches that FDDI would be faster.

certainly less chaotic anyway.  and smoother running under extreme load.
so, most likely yes.  also, large MTU means big huge chunks of data get
pushed around.  perfect for the type of thing you are into.

> Plus, isn't FDDI 120mbit?

donno, dave?

-brian