[rescue] Re: CDDI/FDDI from Cisco (old stuff--any good?)

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 18 20:59:50 CDT 2001

Rob wrote:
> I asked a guru friend locally, and he said FDDI's better than FE if you're
> running half duplex FE, but you're stupid if you're running fast ethernet
> half duplex.

*nod* FDDI is a bit more... robust than FE, though. You'll notice if your
FE is hitting 90%++ utilization. FDDI can hit that and won't break a sweat.
By the time you hit 95% sustained utilization on FE you'll notice timeouts
and connection resets and the overhead of the retransmits kills what
remaining bandwidth you have. FDDI doesn't seem to act that way.

I haven't had much hands-on with this stuff but in my investigations to
these differences this is what I've found.

-Jon