[rescue] CDDI/FDDI from Cisco (old stuff--any good?)

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 18 19:11:06 CDT 2001

> * Are these guys worth anything anymore?

Depends on who you ask.  Some people are throwing them away so they can go
to gigabit ethernet (ewwww) .  They still work and they work well.  I'm
using the CDDI version at home.

> * is a concentrator good enough for home datacenter use, or can
>   I find a switch cheaply enough out there somewhere?

A concentrator is fine for home use.  You will most likely need a FDDI to
Ethernet bridge to interconnect your FDDI network to the rest of the
world.

> * If I have DAS FDDI can I use this sort of box?

Yup.

> * Are the CDDI blades easily found (or does anyone have a spare for
>   sale/trade?)
> * Where can I find cabling for these guys?

Both of these show up on ebay alllll the time. CDDI uses standard cat 5
cabling (but a different pinout than 10/100 base T ethernet).

> I am reading some Cisco docs now (ew, first I touched a Grand Junction
> box, and now I'm pondering spending time and money both on a Cisco box?)

Most of the Cisco FDDI/CDDI gear is really just rebadged Crescendo stuff,
since Cisco bought Crescendo instead of designing their own equipment.