[rescue] CDDI/FDDI from Cisco (old stuff--any good?)

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 18 16:50:26 CDT 2001

Hi guys,

Since there are a lot of FDDI fans out there, I thought I'd mention
discovering a couple of C1100 and C1440 Cisco FDDI boxes (apparently
concentrators, with 8-16 MIC ports each).

It looked like one of the models had modular blades for installing a CDDI
blade in place of one of the 8-port FDDI blades.

I guess what I'm wondering would be:

* Are these guys worth anything anymore?
* is a concentrator good enough for home datacenter use, or can
  I find a switch cheaply enough out there somewhere?
* If I have DAS FDDI can I use this sort of box?
* Are the CDDI blades easily found (or does anyone have a spare for
  sale/trade?)
* Where can I find cabling for these guys?

I am reading some Cisco docs now (ew, first I touched a Grand Junction
box, and now I'm pondering spending time and money both on a Cisco box?)
and I'll go browse ebay and do some other googling, but if anyone has
convenient and sharable answers on this (or if you want me to grab one of
the boxes for you), please drop me a note.

Not that I didn't get enough new toys this weekend already... quickcam,
tyan dual slot1 board, and a Netapp F330 to play with. At least with my
new job I can enjoy the weekends more.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows