[rescue] U30 Construction

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 01:09:47 CDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Mike Dombrowski wrote:

> First time for me too, damn thing is huge too. I'd much rather have a
> small tower, my Micro-Atx PC has spoiled the heck outta me. But I guess
> people who paid $15,000 for these things wanted something impressive
> :). First time I've ever seen one either. Is the U10 case smaller? All
> I really want is a shorter case, my one desk part is only 18" deep so
> the U30 overhangs by about 4inches right over my hamster cage :(

The U10 is smaller, yes.  The U30 isn't really a huge box, it's dwarfed by
even my old 4/330's (which were $30k new and really felt like tanks).  :)

> I really hate the cdrom setup though, it was impossible to plug my
> cdrom into the machine so I had to twist the cable and get it out of
> the machine which was unpleasant. Now that Solaris 8 is installed I'm
> having problems with the damned hme not autodetecting properly, why do
> Sun machines have such problems? All my PCs autodetect properly no
> matter what card I use.

Why did the cdrom mounting give you problems?  Every one I've put in has
slipped in flawlessly, and it's really easy to pull the whole mounting
brackets out to drop the drive into.  I am using a Plextor 32x in mine.

I've never had hme autodetect problems as long as the port at the other
end hasn't been locked to a single speed, but your milage may vary.  Let
us know what you're connecting to so we can avoid them in the future.

-James