[rescue] U30 Construction

Mike Dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 22:01:30 CDT 2001

>> Just wanted to say that I too am a very satisfied Comdisco customer.
>> I'll probably be buying some more systems from her for work.
>>
>I got my U30 today too. First time I've ever seen one in person.
>It fired right up, and passed all the prom tests. It's a hefty
>piece of work! I had to carry it a ways, it's not a light-weight.

First time for me too, damn thing is huge too. I'd much rather have a
small tower, my Micro-Atx PC has spoiled the heck outta me. But I guess
people who paid $15,000 for these things wanted something impressive
:). First time I've ever seen one either. Is the U10 case smaller? All
I really want is a shorter case, my one desk part is only 18" deep so
the U30 overhangs by about 4inches right over my hamster cage :(

I really hate the cdrom setup though, it was impossible to plug my
cdrom into the machine so I had to twist the cable and get it out of
the machine which was unpleasant. Now that Solaris 8 is installed I'm
having problems with the damned hme not autodetecting properly, why do
Sun machines have such problems? All my PCs autodetect properly no
matter what card I use.

>There is no o/s on this one, and no cdrom. (But hey, the price
>was right). I assume you can install Solaris over a network?
>Well, I'll find out soon enough. It will make an interesting
>weekend project. I should get out more.

Price was decent, I would have rather had one of the other machines or
a Creator3d tho. But I guess for $380 shipped one really can't
complain. Strange that they used freight shipping too. Disk access is
slow on this thing, a 10k drive would really speed it up methinks.

Mike