[rescue] Ultra 10

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 21:23:06 CDT 2001

So, Bob was able to fix the power supply in my "new" Ultra 10. Took him
all of three minutes to find the bad solder joint and fix it. He even
bridged it so it'll never happen again (to that joint anyway). And after
I'd gone and bought a 500W P/S at compusa. That's the only one that
satisfactorilly met all the amperage requirements. $85 that'll be back
in my pocket tomorrow.

So, I'm installing Solaris 8 right now. Decided not to convert to SCSI
yet. I'll try it as-is first and see how bad IDE is. I don't have any
other IDE machines down here at the moment. Sheesh, I just threw all the
good stuff I coluld into my SS/20, too. I guess it'll make a nice
server.

Does anyone know if my Miro PCTV card will work in here? If so, should I
put it in before the install or will it be just as easy after? The TV
card is dependent on an ATI video chip, which just happens to be what's
driving the vga out on the system board. Boy, wouldn't that be sweet?

Where do I get the software to use the PCi card?

More to follow as I start using this thing...

Thanks as always,

---sambo