[rescue] 2 masters degrees, 25+ years experience, and LAID OFF

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 18:16:55 CDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Stephen Cohen wrote:

> Over 1200 resumes have been sent.  I enjoyed my first interview just
> yesterday.  Are things really that bad across the entire US?  It is
> understood that central Arkansas, aka the anus of economic America, can't
> absorb this and other layoffs.  But Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, and
> even Florida are proving to be infertile with respect to forthcoming
> offers.

If you think it's bad over there, you should see how California is doing.
There are still jobs available, but the number relative to the available
workforce is tiny.  Most of my friends who were begging me to move to
their companies just 6 months ago are now reporting hiring freezes across
the board.  I have had recruiters flat out tell me that they're taking
time off because it's so hard to place people.

> What's a guy to do?

I should have become a carpenter or bricklayer.  I've expanded my search
to the entire U.S. and beyond, and finding perm positions for skilled
Unix/network admins has still been difficult even with a decade of
experience.  I have found opportunities in NYC and L.A., but those are
about the only two places in the country I flat out refuse to live in.

-James [hire me!]