[rescue] 2 masters degrees, 25+ years experience, and LAID OFF

Stephen Cohen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 16:01:33 CDT 2001

<P>It was bound to happen some day.  The warnings were all over the place.  Reduced earnings, sales off, and then the company imposed a manditory 5% pay cut.  And this happened just after my divorce (February) through which I lost half my wealth  I put the remaining cash into a house in which my son and I now live.</P>
<P>Then, an email is sent end of June announcing layoffs of 412 positions.  I got my notice that afternoon just after lunch.  And just like that, I'm out of a job, and out of cash with which to sustain a prolonged interruption in income.</P>
<P>Over 1200 resumes have been sent.  I enjoyed my first interview just yesterday.  Are things really that bad across the entire US?  It is understood that central Arkansas, aka the anus of economic America, can't absorb this and other layoffs.  But Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, and even Florida are proving to be infertile with respect to forthcoming offers.</P>
<P>It's not that I've no marketable skills.  A Master's in Computer Science, an MBA, and several years at project management, program management, software development managment, systems management, and more should stand me well against the competition.  I've worked in universities, telecommunications, and most recently a firm specializing an customer data integration (CDI).</P>