[rescue] Sun 3/60

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 23:33:49 CDT 2001

On August 15, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >  Ordinarily I would agree...but Digex bought up literally hundreds of
> >them back in 1994/1995, to the point where NONE of the vendors had
> >them...we drove the 3/60 bare-board price up from $99.00 to nearly
> >$600.  Sure they made zillions of them...and most of them are sitting
> >in a warehouse a few miles from here, except for the dozen or so that
> >are likely still in production over there.
>
> The answer is to buy a $269.99 PDC (piece-o del crappo) PC from TigerDirect
> that will completely run rings around that old 3/60 in every way.  Then
> install NetBSD or OpenBSD and publicly announce your disdain for the SunOS
> 4.x K&R (not ANSI) compiler.
>
> Then, let the flames commence ... :-)

  Umm, the answer to *what*?

  And there's one way NO PC will ever run rings around a Sun3/60:
Reliability.  Some of those machines regularly had uptimes near 600
days.  And they were in constant use.

  And I don't know anyone who's actually used the SunOS4 C compiler to
do anything but bootstrap GCC.  Especially on a 68K, where GCC's
optimizer kicks ass.

   -Dave

--
Dave McGuire