[rescue] Sun 3/60

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 00:06:02 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:33:49AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   And there's one way NO PC will ever run rings around a Sun3/60:
> Reliability.  Some of those machines regularly had uptimes near 600
> days.  And they were in constant use.

i wish i woulda remembered to cut and paste the uptime from that 690MP we had
at lucent when i worked there years ago.  1300+ days uptime.  build box on a
secure network.  so patching was not needed.  suh-weet.

i'd like to see a PC do that. :)  actually, come to think of it, i'd like to
see just about ANY other machine do that.  not many can.  and we all love the
ones that do. :)

>   And I don't know anyone who's actually used the SunOS4 C compiler to
> do anything but bootstrap GCC.  Especially on a 68K, where GCC's
> optimizer kicks ass.

Forte's sparc optimization is pretty nice.  gcc seems to be alright for the
pre-ultra stuff, but sucks goat on ultras.  need to get myself a license for
Forte, but don't have a couple grand laying around.  grrrr.

-brian