[rescue] Sun 3/60

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 22:52:13 CDT 2001

>On August 15, james at foonly.com wrote:
>> That's IMHO a silly price.  I gave away my last 3/60, which was in better
>> cosmetic condition, had 24MB RAM, a P4 cg6, a 19" mono monitor, a type-4
>> keyboard and mouse with adapter cable and an external 327MB drive.  Sun
>> made zillions of these things.
>
>  Ordinarily I would agree...but Digex bought up literally hundreds of
>them back in 1994/1995, to the point where NONE of the vendors had
>them...we drove the 3/60 bare-board price up from $99.00 to nearly
>$600.  Sure they made zillions of them...and most of them are sitting
>in a warehouse a few miles from here, except for the dozen or so that
>are likely still in production over there.

The answer is to buy a $269.99 PDC (piece-o del crappo) PC from TigerDirect
that will completely run rings around that old 3/60 in every way.  Then
install NetBSD or OpenBSD and publicly announce your disdain for the SunOS
4.x K&R (not ANSI) compiler.

Then, let the flames commence ... :-)

Cordially
--