[rescue] 501-2646?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 17:43:07 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 06:31:21PM -0400, Larry Snyder wrote:
> We had some of the BigMacs (be) a few years ago.  I remember having an
> interesting time getting them to talk to Catalyst switches without
> having duplex mismatches (autonegotiate didn't work worth a damn),

autonegotiation between current cisco and sun hardware still fails to work
reliably.  it's one of the longest running incompatabilities i've ever run
into.  it's a GIANT pain in the ass.  but at least there is an easy fix.

> but I thought you could force them to full with ndd or in /etc/system.

BE is half-duplex, i bet you'd have a hard time to get ndd to set them full. :)

> Whether you could or not, we ended up hard-coding switch ports and
> host ports, and tend to continue the practice with qfe & hme as well
> (once burned...).  This was in the days of 2.3, 2.4, 2.5.1, etc.

still get burned with current hme and current cisco.  wish they'd just EFin'
fix that once and for all.

> Memory's a bit scratchy on details.

i know the feeling. :)

-brian