[rescue] 501-2646?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 17:49:00 CDT 2001

Thus spake James:

<<
We had some of the BigMacs (be) a few years ago.  I remember having an
interesting time getting them to talk to Catalyst switches without
having duplex mismatches (autonegotiate didn't work worth a damn),
but I thought you could force them to full with ndd or in /etc/system.
Whether you could or not, we ended up hard-coding switch ports and
host ports, and tend to continue the practice with qfe & hme as well
(once burned...).  This was in the days of 2.3, 2.4, 2.5.1, etc.

At Terraspring, we hard coded all ports all the time. various bits of
equipment- intel ethernet cards exspecially, would drop connection
otherwise. I've just come to the conclusion that one always locks
the port, and if something doesn't work, tell the marketing dweeb to
stop sticking tacks in the cable (true!)

-Christof