[rescue] TiVo Hack

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 08:19:38 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:37:42PM -0700, gonufer wrote:
> We use a TiVo with the widely-available Tcl http daemon and an Ultra 5
> with ShowmeTV/SunVideo card to broadcast a TiVo around the department
> and allow people to manipulate it via their web browsers.  An Ultra 30
> would just be too much for that job :-)

What do you mean by broadcasting the tivo?  Are you recording TV to the
TiVo and streaming it to peoples workstations?  Are you using a video
splitter and taking the TiVo signal and sending it to TVs around the
department?

And what is the Ultra5 for?

> If anyone wants pointers to the pieces to make that happen just
> let me know.

How are you controlling the TiVo?  I mean, what is the TCL server doing to
control the tivo?  care to post links about that?

> >  So why not use your netapp, and just rotate the
> > video off of the tivo, or watch it on a PC from the netapp? You also have the
> > bonus of being able to access your video library from anywhere on your network.
>
> You'd be suprised what people (okay, geeks) are already doing with their
> TiVos...

I see info on upgrading harddrives, and Trimble's (or was that Trumble,
well whatever the SAMBA guy's name is...) ethernet page, but what other
good pages are there?

> -greg (whose TiVo's have double the memory of those from the factory)

Err, is that all you've done to yours?  If so, why?

Lastly, does anyone know, was the TiVo designed by IBM?  I know that IBM
offers hardware design services, and the TiVo has so many IBM chips in it
that I couldn't help but wonder.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/