[rescue] TiVo Hack

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 08:52:27 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:19:38AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> What do you mean by broadcasting the tivo?  Are you recording TV to the
> TiVo and streaming it to peoples workstations?  Are you using a video
> splitter and taking the TiVo signal and sending it to TVs around the
> department?
>
> And what is the Ultra5 for?

i can't answer for him there, but it's funny this should all come up, i was
visiting friends this weekend, and my one friend has a tivo all hacked up.
he has the ethernet for it and a 40GB drive in it.  it NFS mounts a drive on
his server, and then things got fuzzy.  he's not the best at explaining what
he has done, so he lost me, something about putting the raw video on the drive
and then using the server to turn it into MPEG4.  he then used his winders
laptop to play one of the videos.  it looks GOOD on the high-res laptop screen.
i was very impressed, once i move and get a TiVo i'll be talking to him. :)

his next plan is to hack in a wireless card so he doesn't need to run a cable
down to his living-room.  i'll let you all know how that goes.

> How are you controlling the TiVo?  I mean, what is the TCL server doing to
> control the tivo?  care to post links about that?

you run a web server on the tivo, you point your web browser at the tivo, you
can then do such things as change the channel, or modify season pass settings
or anything else that you can do from the remote, but without bringing up the
menu on-screen, so you could sit down and fiddle with the tivo's recording
schedule (as an example) while someone else is watching tv without bothering
them at all.

> I see info on upgrading harddrives, and Trimble's (or was that Trumble,
> well whatever the SAMBA guy's name is...) ethernet page, but what other
> good pages are there?

i'll have to ask him about that, see what pages he used.

-brian