[rescue] (no subject)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 12 19:31:18 CDT 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, gonufer wrote:

> We use a TiVo with the widely-available Tcl http daemon and an Ultra 5
> with ShowmeTV/SunVideo card to broadcast a TiVo around the department
> and allow people to manipulate it via their web browsers.  An Ultra 30
> would just be too much for that job :-)

That's seriously cool.

Speaking of SunVideo cards, what's generally accepted as the limiting
factor in framerate for capture in the old Sbus SunVideo (Nachos) cards?
I have one in a SS20/50 that can capture 320x240 at NTSC wire speeds, but
it starts falling flat at 640x480 even without the overhead of a display.
If it's Sbus bandwidth (doesn't make sense) then I figure there's not much
I can do about it, but if it's CPU bound in the XIL libs then a faster
CPU/machine would help.  Host overhead when compression is enabled seems
to be significant in any case.  I sold my last Sbus Ultra last year so I
can't easily test.

What I'd really like is a SunVideo Plus but they're not terribly cheap on
the used market yet.  MemX had one for $150 2 years ago that I'm still
kicking myself for not picking up.

-James