[rescue] (no subject)

gonufer rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 12 01:37:42 CDT 2001

Eli Bottrell wrote:
> I thought the point of the ISA slot in the tivo was so you could put a network
> card in it and pull the video off?

There's a factory debug card edge connector on the TiVO motherboard
but it's not quite ISA (it's the PCI form-factor but it's definitely not
PCI).  That edge connector plus a bit of glue logic is enough to use an
off-the-shelf ISA network card.  www.9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm.

We use a TiVo with the widely-available Tcl http daemon and an Ultra 5
with ShowmeTV/SunVideo card to broadcast a TiVo around the department
and allow people to manipulate it via their web browsers.  An Ultra 30
would just be too much for that job :-)

If anyone wants pointers to the pieces to make that happen just
let me know.

>  So why not use your netapp, and just rotate the
> video off of the tivo, or watch it on a PC from the netapp? You also have the
> bonus of being able to access your video library from anywhere on your network.

You'd be suprised what people (okay, geeks) are already doing with their
TiVos...

-greg (whose TiVo's have double the memory of those from the factory)