[rescue] BNC (really Coax) evils

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 15:14:23 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 03:13:32PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
>
> >The network hung or what?  That's treating it awefully flipply.  First, it
> >doesn't just hang, no a piece breaks out of the blue, and leaves the whole
> >network down until you turn everything off and remove the offending piece
> >(and the computer it was attached to) from the network and reboot.  That
> >is unpardonable, especially since there are so many pieces to break (Ts,
> >and terminators especially like to go at bad times).
>
> I've never had any problems with thinwire. I tend to stick with AUI
> or 10BT hubs for the ease of maintenance, but I've get a small thinwire
> segment here, and one at work.

Why the AUI segment?  The last time I set up an AUI segment, it was just
as a stop gap due to being out of transcievers (it consisted of an
Onyx and an SS10, connected over the the 10BT segment).  A few weeks later
it was disassembled.

> And hubs give you blinkenlights. What I really want is a couple
> of rackmount hubs: one 10BT, one AUI, with ports on the back and lights
> on the front.

Oooh, blinking lights.  Everyone must have those (unfortunately mine are
burried under a pile of other stuff.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/