[rescue] BNC (really Coax) evils

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 14:13:32 CDT 2001

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>The network hung or what?  That's treating it awefully flipply.  First, it
>doesn't just hang, no a piece breaks out of the blue, and leaves the whole
>network down until you turn everything off and remove the offending piece
>(and the computer it was attached to) from the network and reboot.  That
>is unpardonable, especially since there are so many pieces to break (Ts,
>and terminators especially like to go at bad times).

I've never had any problems with thinwire. I tend to stick with AUI
or 10BT hubs for the ease of maintenance, but I've get a small thinwire
segment here, and one at work.

>> Though I have a 5-port hub but just try to avoid messy
>> cables everywhere.

>I think it is neater.  Cables can be more neatly routed.

And hubs give you blinkenlights. What I really want is a couple
of rackmount hubs: one 10BT, one AUI, with ports on the back and lights
on the front.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------