[rescue] BNC (really Coax) evils

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 10 22:42:55 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:30:43PM -0700, Guess wrote:
> What happened to BNC ? It sounds like a 3 horns
> monster from u guys. The network hung or what ?

The network hung or what?  That's treating it awefully flipply.  First, it
doesn't just hang, no a piece breaks out of the blue, and leaves the whole
network down until you turn everything off and remove the offending piece
(and the computer it was attached to) from the network and reboot.  That
is unpardonable, especially since there are so many pieces to break (Ts,
and terminators especially like to go at bad times).

> Though I have a 5-port hub but just try to avoid messy
> cables everywhere.

I think it is neater.  Cables can be more neatly routed.

> By the way is it possible to make my own cable ?
> Convert tiny AUI to stardard AUI ? What is the
> connector name u guys call it ? For serial we have
> DB25/DB9, what about for micro AUI and standard AUI ?

Standard AUI is DB15 (with a clip).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/