[rescue] several second lag...

Mike Free rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 5 01:17:37 CDT 2001

jeez, you know, I can remember the first "real" computer I ever had, the
first one I ever accomplished useful work with.

I was 16, mind you, and broke.

386DX40, 8 megs ram, 120Meg hard drive.
monitor: hyundai 14", broken, red display only.
operating system: Windows 95.

The motherboard had a bad cache controller so there was no off-chip cache.
at all.

What's worse, I was running AOL. AOL 3.0.

And you know what? If you could get past the 1min20 boot time, and the
blazing hot monitor, and 14.4K modem when 33.6 was emerging, The machine was
actually responsive and useable.

And a grand sum total of: $65. $30 of that in a case. everything else but
the motherboard and the floppy drive was giveaway/scrap.

Mike Free
yes, I've opened hard drives to clean out oxide fragments to get another 6
months of use.....