[rescue] a couple of Solaris questions

Paul Phillips rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 22:45:05 CDT 2001

Ken wrote:

> Just a quick question - why do you think mod_perl is not installed in the
> default Solaris 8 Apache install? They install Perl at the same time. My
> install (from Solaris 8 4/01 CD-ROMs) appears to have mod_perl loaded:
>
>     AddModule mod_perl.c
>
> Also has jserv loaded...

No, I know it is there.  However, it is an older version of Apache.
Also, I want to basically transfer an Apache installation from another
computer to this box, set it up the same way as it was on the old machine,
and use my old httpd config file.  However, the default Apache install on
Sol 8 is not in /usr/local, so i would have to edit my old httpd config -
not a horrible task, mind you, but one I was hoping to avoid.

I have spend all evening trying to get mod_perl and Apache to compile on my
Solaris 8 machine, to no avail.  I have a stock install of sol8, with the
additional software developer tools added.  I am following the mod_perl
instructions to the letter.  First of all, it couldn't seem to find gcc, so
I made /usr/ucb/cc be a link to gcc which is in /opt/sfw/bin.

Then, during compiling, I get this error:

cc: language depend not recognized
cc: Table.c: linker input file not used since linking not done
rm -f libperl.a
... a bunch more stuff, then finally
make: fatal error: command failed for target 'libperl.a'
same thing for targets 'all', 'subdir' and 'apache_httpd'

The thing is, I have done this dozens of times on Linux boxes with no
trouble at all.  Granted, Solaris is most certainly not Linux, but I don't
understand why it is so hard.

Grumble, grumble....

Paul Phillips