[rescue] sleep dep

Derrick Daugherty rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 22:57:41 CDT 2001

It's rumored that around Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:10:58PM -0400
joshua d boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 10:06:57PM -0500, Derrick Daugherty wrote:
> > From what I've read, studies on college folk, sleep depravatino can
> > actually aide you in small amounts.  If you don't "recharge" your
> > batteries, then your screwed.  I generally recharge saturday or sinday
> > and sleep about 3-5 hrs during the week.  The trick is to wake up
> > inbetwween REM stages.  If you wake up in the middle it's hard to shake
> > the grogginess for several hours.
>
> Hmm.  That sounds like it might be my problem, getting woken in
> REM.  During the week, I don't get anywhere near the officially needed
> amount of sleep, and when the alarm goes, I kinda have a mixing of dream
> and reality.  But, on weekends, I don't wake up anywhere near a
> dream.  And isn't REM when you dream?
>
> So, uh, do they suggest how you wake up not in REM?

It's all timing.  If you get the full 8 hrs, the generic recommendation
for avg humans, you have, on avg, 3 REM cycles.   I tend to achieve REM
once per night in my 3.5-4 hrs.  Your brain essentially fires in reverse
for a while then it slowly ebbs back, then up again like a brain-wave
tide of sorts.  I'd say anywhere from .5-1.25 hours into  your rest
you'll fall into it.

FWIW, if you have the time for a full night's sleep but can _not_ get
your brain to be quiet figuring out that day's unresolved issues, try
vallerian.  It's an herbal thang, and man o' man, it's done the trick.
No 'hang-over' like with tylenol-pm etc.

BTW, if you sleep too much, ie 12 hrs, it's a degradation.   Unless your
hung-over, then just' get out of bed heh

-derrick