[rescue] Mac Appliance

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 11:53:03 CDT 2001

Brian wrote:
> see, that's not good enough for me.  it should be optimized because that makes
> it better no matter what.  period.  end of sentence.  did i mention i have a
> PDP-11 with only 32K of memory?  yea optimizing!!!!!!!!

Exactly... I'm all for keeping vaxen alive, but a real kernel from a modern(!)
OS (OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc) would take up too much of the max 16M of RAM on my
uVAX2. What ever happened to pcc?

> i'm only half kidding of course.  there is no good reason to NOT optimize other
> than it's boring as hell.

That and the optimization performed by a compiler is resource intensive. I've
seen Forte eat up 2GB of RAM on -O5 on some boxes.

> > The Cray wouldn't run at only 33mhz would it?
> and why not?

Overclock Cray? *scared look*

-Jon