[rescue] Mac Appliance

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 11:37:25 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:32:44PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   True.  I have the Cray ELs for historic and coolness reasons (though
> they are quite zippy for Da Crunchin') and the PDPs for hobby hacking
> and historic preservation.  For real work, I use Cray J90 for Serious
> Balls, an Alpha (AS800 5/333) as a fileserver, another Alpha (PC164
> 5/500) and a SPARC (U1/170) for software development, and an SGI
> (Indigo2/R10K/MXI) to sit in front of.  If anyone cares.

My setup:

I sit in front of a Wintel PC (700Mhz, Win2K) at my desk,
at least until tonight when its being replaced by a G4 Mac
running OS X.  The PC makes a great SSH terminal and someplace
to run a web browser from, as well as VPN/VNC into work to
read my email there, games, etc.

Across the room, I have another G3 PowerMac that is pretty much
a dedicated scanner / Photoshop machine.

At http://images.sunhelp.org/rack/rack-hardware you can see the
"rest" of my current home network - Ultra 60 (dual 360/4meg,
512meg) fileserver and number cruncher, and a SunBlade 100
workstation (also attached to the monitor that the PC is on) for
when I need to "sit in front of" a UNIX workstation for things I
cant do via an X server on the PC.

Got various other machines in the house (Amy's PC, some laptops,
etc) but thats pretty much my network (all connected via a
Grand Junction / Cisco 10/100 switch, with a Linksys BEFSR11
"gateway"/NAT box and a RoadRunner cable modem..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net