[rescue] Mac Appliance

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 14:14:23 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:37:25AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> My setup:

oh you wanna play this game huh? :)

> I sit in front of a Wintel PC (700Mhz, Win2K) at my desk,
> at least until tonight when its being replaced by a G4 Mac
> running OS X.  The PC makes a great SSH terminal and someplace
> to run a web browser from, as well as VPN/VNC into work to
> read my email there, games, etc.

i sit in front of a triple-headed sparc20 with a single 150Mhz HyperSPARC CPU
that i would like to upgrade to an Ultra2 as soon as i get the cash (a job
would help in that regard) but honestly the sparc20 is fast enough.

> Across the room, I have another G3 PowerMac that is pretty much
> a dedicated scanner / Photoshop machine.

that's the only machine i own with a head.  well, until now that i got these
crappy ass macs.

> Got various other machines in the house (Amy's PC, some laptops,
> etc) but thats pretty much my network (all connected via a
> Grand Junction / Cisco 10/100 switch, with a Linksys BEFSR11
> "gateway"/NAT box and a RoadRunner cable modem..)

ok, so let's limit me to actively running machines. :)  got a sparc20 that is
my main web/ftp server that is SUPPOSED to be an oracle development box that i
never seem to get around to setting up.  although now it's an NFS server and is
serving my home directory, SOOOOOO, i guess it'll continue to do that for a
while yet (at least until i get the NetApp online)

sparc2 with 75Mhz PowerUP CPU, mail/dns.  that's it, although it needs more
hard drive space, if i try to send a large attachment it hoses /var :)

sparc10 as a firewall/router.  it's overkill, yeah, but till i get a router
that'll do my FDDI<->FastEthernet i'm stuck using this.  that's ok though,
i'm sure i'll find something. :)

DEC 3000/300LX as a dmz box (it's really supposed to be my ftp server, think
maybe i'll make that switch today, one step closer to making the -20 an oracle
box) that currently only hosts a couple shell accounts and an irc server. don't
even have the web server setup on it yet.  i've been slacking.  :)

VMScluster comprised of 4 VAX 4000 boxes with the potential to have four more
4000 boxes thrown in the mix.  this is going to be a whatever use i can find
for it box.  i'd like to run a database and a webserver for a DEC/VAX/PDP
related project i'm working on, but i'm having a hard time coming up with a
hobbyist DB server for VMS.  i tried (and failed) to talk oracle out of a
hobbyist or developer license for Oracle7/VAX but the rep sorta acted like
there was no such this as Oracle 7 OR the VAX.  hmmmmm.  she was clueless, but
still.

all the other machines are powered off for one reason or another, so i will not
mention them here. :)

-brian