[rescue] Sunblade 100 question

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 10:35:58 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:22:59AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> editing and effects would only be offered to people who shell out for the
> Expert3d-lite board (choke, twice the price of a non 3D Sun Blade, choke).
>
> Anyway, just a thought. Sun Blades 100s seem to be hitting prices that
> make this look reasonable, but I'm not a bit fan of giving up 3D
> acceleration, and those Exper3ds are NOT cheap.

compared to the price of a SB 1000 the Expert3d card is a steal. :)

seriously though, you have an excellent point.  the SB100 is a nice cheap low
end "foot in the door entry system" which can be upgraded to better graphics
for a "reasonable" amount of money (for a VERY relaxed interpretation of
reasonable) and when that isn't powerful enough, Sun has just roped you into
buying a SunBlade 1000 (not cheap or reasonable by any stretch of the
imagination) since you already bought all the very expensive sofrware.  now
obviously the pronoun YOU in this paragraph means "graphics/animation company
with a budget of somekind, not a home user" since you don't sell expensive gfx
software to home users.  they can't afford it.

although a $5000 pricetag for Maya is actually pretty reasonable by my thinking.

-brian